We are very excited to offer this introductory glimpse into the practical application of Brian Mulligan's mobilization with movement approach to shoulder and thoracic spine problems. The techniques will be described and demonstrated by Brian Mulligan, Rick Crowell and Brian Folk of the Mulligan Concept Teachers Association. The techniques include Mobilization with Movement (MWM), Reverse NAGs, and SNAGs. The guidelines and indications necessary to apply the techniques are presented in an engaging verbal and visual format. The intended result is immediate enhancement of assessment and treatment skills utilizing Mobilization with Movement techniques.
Unit 01: Basic Concepts
Unit 02: Shoulder MWM with Belt
Unit 03: AC Joint
Unit 04: Reverse NAGS
Unit 05: Spinal Mobilization with Arm Movement
Unit 06: Thoracic SNAGS
Certificate of Completion
Upon completion, the participant will be able to:
Unit 1 - Basic Concepts
- Demonstrate a MWM technique for the glenohumeral joint in a patient with a painful arc.
- Describe the Acronym “PILL” when using Mulligan’s MWM for patients with extremity pain.
Unit 2 - Shoulder MWM with Belt
- Incorporate the use of a mobilization belt when performing a MWM in a patient with shoulder pain.
Unit 3 - AC Joint
- Apply a MWM technique to a patient with very localized pain at the AC joint.
- Demonstrate the Scapulothoracic technique in a patient with a positional fault of the scapula.
Unit 4 - Reverse NAGS
- Apply a Reverse NAG technique in a patient with upper thoracic spine dysfunction.
Unit 5 - Spinal Mobilization with Arm Movement
- Demonstrate a MWM on a patient with shoulder pain originating from the spine.
- Recognize 3 potential variations in treatment applications in a patient with UE pain requiring a spinal mobilization.
- Instruct a patient in a self- spinal mobilization technique/MWM to address pain in the UE involving the spine.
Unit 6 - Thoracic SNAGS
- Demonstrate a SNAG in a patient with limited thoracic mobility.
- Discuss 2 indications of using a central SNAG over a unilateral SNAG.
Upon completion of this class, you should be able to:
- Summarize the concept of Mobilization with Movement (MWM) along with its technique guidelines
- Describe MWM techniques for the shoulder and thoracic spine
Run Time: 1.5 hours
Attendee: Physical Therapists, PTA's, Students, Athletic Trainers
Required Equipment: Personal Computer, Tablet, or Smartphone with access to Broadband Internet (<1.4 mbps)
Examination: 13-question test. Passing grade of 70% or higher required for certificate
Course Evaluation: Yes
Certificate of Completion: Yes
- BOC Approval: Northeast Seminars is recognized by the Board of Certification, Inc. to offer continuing education for Certified Athletic Trainers. This program has been approved for (4) hours of Category A continuing education. BOC Approved Provider Home Study Course: #P498