This course explores in detail the revolutionary Mobilization with Movement (MWM) techniques for treating lateral ankle sprains, as well as foot and knee pain. Specific attention is given to the first MTP joint, plantar flexion, dorsiflexion, Achilles tendon, and calcaneus. The presenters will also demonstrate taping techniques for the ankle
Run Time: 2 hours
Attendee: Physical Therapists, PTA's, Students, Athletic Trainers
Required Equipment: Personal Computer, Tablet, or Smartphone with access to Broadband Internet (<1.4 mbps)
Examination: 17-question test. Passing grade of 70% or higher required for certificate
Course Evaluation: Yes
Certificate of Completion: Yes
ProCert has awarded certification in the amount of 2 Continuing Competence Units (CCUs) to this activity. CCUs are a unit of relative value of an activity based on its evaluation against a rigorous and comprehensive set of standards representing the quality of an activity. The CCU determination is a valuation applying many factors including, but not limited to, duration of the activity. No conclusion should be drawn that CCUs correlate to time (e.g. hours).
Unit 01: Introduction
Unit 02: Plantar Flexion
Unit 03: Dorsiflexion
Unit 04: First MTP Joint
Unit 05: Lateral Ankle Sprain - Theory
Unit 06: Lateral Ankle Sprain- Demonstration
Unit 07: Achilles Tendon & Calcaneus
Unit 08: Knee
Certificate of Completion
- Learning Goals
Upon completion of this class, you should be able to:
- Summarize the concept of Mobilization with Movement (MWM) along with its technique guidelines
- Describe MWM techniques for the foot, ankle, and knee
- Behavioral Objectives
Upon completion, the participant will be able to:
Unit 1: Introduction
1. Defend the value and efficacy of a MWM in the treatment plan of a patient with joint pain and dysfunction.
2. Explain the acronym CROCS and its relevance in using MWM’s in a patient with joint dysfunction.
Unit 2: Plantar Flexion
3. Demonstrate 1 MWM technique at the ankle joint in a patient with limited Plantar Flexion ROM.
Unit 3: Dorsiflexion
4. Incorporate 1, MWM belt technique to improve Dorsiflexion ROM in a patient recovering from immobilization of the ankle joint.
Unit 4: First MTP Joint
5. Demonstrate 1 MWM technique on a patient with painful and/or restricted extension or flexion of the 1st MTP (Metatarsophalangeal) joint, (connective tissue between the foot and the toe.)
UNIT 6: Lateral Ankle Sprain Demonstration
6. Implement a manual MWM technique and follow up taping strategy in a patient with an ankle sprain and pain with inversion.
Unit 8: Knee
7. Demonstrate 1 weight bearing and 1 non-weight bearing MWM technique in a patient with a loss of knee flexion ROM.
8. Incorporate 1 taping strategy to eliminate pain in a patient with knee pain.
DetailsThis course explores in detail the revolutionary Mobilization with Movement (MWM) techniques for treating lateral ankle sprains, as well as foot and knee pain. Specific attention is given to the first MTP joint, plantar flexion, dorsiflexion, Achilles tendon, and calcaneus. The presenters will also demonstrate taping techniques for the ankle
- Additional Information
Instructor(s) Brian Mulligan, Julie Paolino Continuing Education State(s) Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Puerto Rico Platform Online